Ask the Director 4-2

I believe I have been discriminated against at my workplace. Who should I contact to file a complaint?
You may contact the closest Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR) regional office or call 800-482-3604. A rights representative will discuss with you your options and the complaint process. Please note that the MDCR only has jurisdiction for up to 180 days following the date of the alleged act of discrimination; the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has jurisdiction up to 300 days if your employer has more than 15 employees.

How do I know if I have been a victim of discrimination in housing?
Fair Housing Laws make it illegal to discriminate in regards to the sale, rental, financing or insuring of housing based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, disability, age and marital status. Housing discrimination is usually disguised and more often than not it is done with a smile and a handshake. Understanding your rights and privileges and available resources is the best way to avoid or remedy housing discrimination. 

I am the owner of a business. How can I be sure I am not discriminating against anyone?
In general it is unlawful to make employment decisions based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, familial or marital status, arrest record, height or weight. MDCR provides publications including guidelines for advertisements and pre-employment inquiries. Visit www.michigan.gov/mdcr or call 800-482-2604 for more information.

The Michigan Department of Civil Rights investigates claims of discrimination and works to educate the public on civil rights issues. Send questions to hullje@michigan.gov.