Everyone gets their own little cup! Photo by Ashley Moore
By America’s Test Kitchen
Key limes are NOT the same as the limes you see in the supermarket. Key limes are smaller and have more seeds, a thinner skin, and a tarter taste. They get their name from the Florida Keys, where they were first grown.
Don’t worry, you don’t have to hunt down key limes. Even though these are called “Key Lime Cups,” we developed this recipe with regular Persian limes.
Key Lime Cups
- 1 1/2 graham crackers, broken into pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed mil
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 1/3 cup juice, zested and squeezed from 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg yolk
- Pinch salt
- Whipped cream, optional
- HEAT: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- SMASH: Add graham cracker pieces to a large zipper-lock plastic bag. Seal bag, making sure to press out all air. Use a rolling pin to gently pound bag to break crackers into crumbs.
- MIX: Add graham cracker crumbs and butter to a small bowl. Heat in microwave until toasted, about 1 minute. Stir with rubber spatula to combine.
- SOFTEN: In a large bowl, microwave cream cheese for 10 to 15 seconds. Whisk softened cream cheese until very smooth.
- WHISK: Add condensed milk, lime zest and juice, water, egg yolk, and salt to bowl with cream cheese. Whisk until well combined and smooth
- FILL: Divide filling evenly among ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- BAKE AND COOL: Bake until filling is set and no longer jiggles when the baking sheet is gently shaken, about 6 minutes. Let key lime cups cool on a cooling rack for 45 minutes.
- CHILL: Cover ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate until filling is chilled and firm, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. To serve, dollop with whipped cream, if using, and sprinkle with graham cracker topping.
For 25 years, home cooks have relied on America’s Test Kitchen recipes developed by professional test cooks and vetted by 60,000 recipe testers. americastestkitchen.com/TCA.